Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The first tour of Berlin

Yesterday, we had most of the day to ourselves, then met up with the group, let by our guide Naomi, at 4:00.
We spent the morning around Friedrichstrasse, also in Mitte. About 15 minutes of walking took us to the River Spree, and another 5 min. to the famous boulevard, Unter der linden - Under the Lindens. Unfortunately, thr weather was overcast, the crowds quite heavy (tourist trap), and the pavement and road under the lovely trees was being dug up for some kind of construction. Bad lighting, too many people, ugly signs and barricades: not the greatest conditions for photos! So I am not including the lousy ones I ended up taking.
And none of the Brandenburg Gate, either, the main reason for the tourists. We saw it, and turned right around.
In a large store, I bought some music and two mini nature guides: Blumen and Bäume (flowers and trees). I also got a CD of 75 bird songs. Alas, all the names are in German - not even Latin! - so I have some identification research ahead of me.
At 4:00, we met the rest of the group (just in from their flights). One Canadian and six U.S. people. We walked along Oranienburgstrasse and passed this enormous, ornate 19th-century synagogue.

 We continued further until the famous museum island (a UNESCO world heritage site). Everyone went to the Pergamon museum except me; I went to the Neue Museum, also full of antiquities. I saw Nefertiti - the one and only - lots of Egyptian animal sculptures (a favourite thing of mine) and the renown astronomical hat. The hat is pure gold and inscribed with calculations of planetary orbits, seasonal appearances of constellations, eclipses and so on. Truly amazing, even if it weren't centuries old!
The biggest treat of all remained: dinner at a swanky place. Kopps is an entirely vegan restaurant. We had beautifully presented and delicious meals, many containing asparagus, which is in season right now and beloved by Berliners. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you got a photo of Nefertiti and the astronomical hat...I would LOVE to see those. I am SO glad you did! The synagogue looks gorgeous...I'm surprised it wasn't destroyed. Why was it spared?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interior was destroyed ... but I'll get more details today after the tour.
    Photos of the Lady of the Nile were verboten. I don't think the hat was off limits, but I didn't take anything as my camera was in my bag in the cloakroom! Everything in there but my wallet, which wouldn't have done me any good without my passport.
    Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting and sharing!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete